Wednesday, March 12, 2008

Odd things from the watermill.

I took myself, my dog and the camera down to the watermill. I thought I might make a post all about how many watermills there used to be on the River Lié, about wheat and buckwheat and bread and such like.
However, I simply got caught up with interesting patterns and shapes and forms and textures, so here is simply a big fat photo post of some of that, and the fascinating local history will have to wait, until I know more about it!


From the forest floor,

to stumps and trunks and things you find on, and in them.


The water itself, which I lack the skill, (and indeed, perhaps, the tripod, but I don't do tripods...) to capture well,
to the curious caddis-like forms it makes in flood, of leaves and grass and mud wrapped and shaped on dead twigs on the bank.

A handsome, huggable, mossy and muscular beech tree,


and an inexplicable piece of impromptu sculpture: a stack of huge old girders, near to the mill itself, edged with randomly wrought iron loops and tendrils, where the silvery bronze leaf litter drifts and collects,




and the rust plays a beguiling cameo.

18 comments:

katydidnot said...

really wonderful photos. except i thought one was a snake and yelped a bit.

julie said...

Lovely! I envy you the lush woodlands around your home.

Catalyst said...

I'm with katydidnot - I was bothered by the snake resemblance, too. But great pictures, Lucy.

robinstarfish said...

Such beautiful forms, in ballet.

Lesley said...

The beech tree is especially sensual

Rosie said...

looks lovely. I dont know the place but it looks perfect for a tree hugger like myself

Anonymous said...

Oh, I like these very much. And you have given Lori Witzel at "Chatoyance" a run for her money on rust here!

Will scribble that meme soon, I promise. Today the natural thing has to be Youmans and Eliot Spitzer...

Anonymous said...

p. s.

The rainbowy decaying stump and those last rust ones would make a great fit with the current "qarrtsiluni," Lucy.

Mike said...

Beautiful photos Lucy and I actually like the pieces of iron mixed in with all the natural beauty.

Unknown said...

Your're in top form Lucy, matching the energy of Spring and the freshness of flowing water.

Lucy said...

Thanks all. I'm not quite sure which one's the snakey one, the thought of Katydidnot yelping tickled me anyway.

Julie - yes, we're lucky with woods and water; sometimes the lushness verges on soggy, mind!

Catalyst, thanks, lovely to see you.

Lesley and Rosie, I'm glad there are some other odd people who fancy trees, that one was so hunky and fuzzy I could have married it (if I didn't have Tom, of course...) Rosie, it would be a good place to walk the doggies, only Porridge might throw herself into fast flowing water and be swept away, I worry a bit about Molly there too sometimes...

So, Marly and Eliot. You heard it here first... In fact that qarrtsiluni theme has been in my mind of late; it's the kind of thing I like anyway. I've got some other stuff I'm trying to pull together for them, but I'm uncertain about it and not getting on with it, so perhaps I'd best just submit some photos. I'll check out Chatoyance.

Mike - thanks, big old iron stuff, rust and the like mixed with nature is great isn't it?

Plutarch - the water is very high and exhilarating just now, it's always a pretty bit of river there. Daffodils and bluebells there are too.

herhimnbryn said...

L, these are very beautiful. I could taste the air, the earth and the rust.

Rob Windstrel Watson said...

Wonderful images. I loved the sinuous, twisty shapes and the mixture of metal and natural forms.

Great photography :-)

vicki johnson said...

Really, really wonderful!! Thank you for posting these...love all the shapes and colors and textures...especially the rusty ones.

Sheila said...

That tree sure does look huggable!

meggie said...

I love the 'handsome huggable, mossy & muscular Beech tree!!
What a lovely post- as usual.

Anonymous said...

Great stuff. Some of those rust photos might not be out of place in qarrtsiluni's "Nature in the Cracks" issue.

Dave King said...

Fantastic photographs. They had me drooling.