Saturday, July 17, 2010

Saturday 17 July

~ To keep this little notebook as refreshingly speedy as it is now, and its small memory unencumberd with clutter, I must find different, efficient ways to use it.  Thinking I can't really do photos on it, I then realise that one can pop the camera's SD card straight in and work with the photos from that, then remove it leaving no trace.  On-line documents and web-albums offer more possibilities.

~  Remembering Jos the still life painter from Bogard, relaxed and popular and very busy last night at the vernissage of an exhibition he's having at Erquy.  We catch him for a few seconds to say hello and goodbye, and he points at me and tells the stranger he's talking to on the other side 'She's a good writer!'  I know it's flattery and tell him so, but I enjoy it anyway. 

~

There's been a yellowhammer in this spot, a long lane between cropfields and pastures with no human habitation, leading down to the hedge with the mirabel trees, for as long as I've been walking it, 12 years at least.   Surprisingly, though, I've never seen it before, only ever heard its humble request for 'a-little-bit-of-bread-and -NO-che.e.e.se!'.  This morning he obligingly perched in the top of a small oak tree, and stayed there a good while.

4 comments:

christopher said...

That's like what I say, only I say, "Little bit o bread, che.e.e.se, NO mayo!"

Also I hunker down under the tree instead.

I guess that's more like a troll than a feathered person...

You are so too a fine writer!

Unknown said...

Flattery is the ink into which we writers dip our pens when in disgrace with Fortune and men's eyes.

Nimble said...

Thanks -- I've never seen a yellowhammer before. With or w/o cheese.

Marly Youmans said...

Love the yellowhammer...