Thursday, March 24, 2011

New blogroll gadget!

A couple of years ago I deleted almost all my IE feeds, feeling that they were extending a tyranny of guilt over my life that I was continually racing to keep up with them and never succeeding.  I simply kept my blogroll and tried to do its contents justice, occasionally adding to or taking away from it.  Then I started using chrome anyway so the IE feeds became an irrelevance.  I kept a very few blogs on Feed My Inbox, then later on Google reader, because either they posted very infrequently but I didn't want to miss them when they did, or else they were daily - and usually fairly succinct - posters and I liked to keep up with them regularly rather than fall behind.

However, I've finally been seduced by those rolling feed blogrolls some of you have got, and have transferred some 50 odd blogs to one of those, as you can see.  Owing to the very narrow sidebar here - HTML adjusted so that I can post egomaniacally large photographs - I was unable to have them appearing with a snippet of text, or even thumbnail photos, which is a shame but it just looked too crowded and awful, but the title and time of posting are pretty appetising anyway.  I also limited the display to the 25 most recently updated blogs, to be tidy.

Some of my old blogroll  I have kept as a straightforward links list below.  If this is where I've left you, rest assured it is no disrespect; either I already have you on the other two feed-reading arrangements mentioned above, or else perhaps I like to visit as and when and prefer to have the link in a fixed and handy place and not moving around with the feed.

I'll see how it goes, but I do like the dynamic thing of it, and also that the blogs appear in a separate window, which is handy, I reckon.

Sometime, now I've found out by happenstance how it is done, I might get around to making some fixed pages.  Or I might not.

10 comments:

Rouchswalwe said...

Looks good, Lucy!

Pam said...

I have no idea how to do any of that. When I retire (not too long, I hope) I might import a technological offspring and find out.

I love your stained glass photos and as for that pig...! So very jolly. Isn't it nice when one feels a sense of humour giggling down through the ages?

Catalyst said...

I'm flattered to be included. Thanks, Lucy.

zephyr said...

Cool.
And thanks!

HLiza said...

I found out about it around new year's time and happily deleted my old blog list which I had to create painfully and sometimes unsuccessfully from cutting and pasting weird codes. I'm happy they create that..makes my life easy and looking forward for other more new gadgets by blogger!

Roderick Robinson said...

Oh Blogger - source of unexpected small pleasures. I had a post ready to go but broke off to see what Box Elder was doing. It seems Box Elder has gone technoid and, though I am happy to appear in the upper list, note that Works Well carries the stigma "Posted three days ago." Quickly I dash back home, post my post, dash back to my spiritual home and there I am! Top of the pile! Bettering my nearest rival by 1 hr 47 mins! A new kind of Cold War with our very synapses controlled from Brittany.

Fire Bird said...

my entry is still showing the last but one post... just saying

marly youmans said...

I ought to do that! Maybe when the visiting teens from China and Tennesses (plus mine) go back to college, I'll see what I can do. I have some blogs I need to axe (because no longer blogging) and some I need to add that I visit. Very virtuous of you!

Lucy said...

Thanks people.

Blog fiddling can be quite beguiling, even and perhaps especially when there are other things one should be doing. But it didn't really take very long to transfer the addresses from one page element to the other - there didn't seem to be any way to export the lot, though you could do so from a Google reader already set up, if you wished. Anyway, if allowed for a sort out. I don't like ditching blogs off my roll, even if we no longer visit much.

Evidently, like anything to do with feeds, it doesn't always work, as at least one (FB's) has failed to update. I don't really think I can do much about that, the working or not of the feeds is beyond my control I suppose. Though that particular feed made its way to my inbox all right...

marly youmans said...

Hmm, my blogger template doesn't seem to have that particular gadget yet. Maybe later. It is fun to see...

But thanks to this I did go back and try some different new gadgets and left a few in place after fooling.