Sunday, February 27, 2011

Heather Dohollau at Qarrtsiluni

Please go and read my friend Heather Dohollau's three poems in French and English, translated by the author, at Qarrtsiluni.

Heather, who lives in St Brieuc, where I work, is an extraordinary woman who has led a remarkable life and who writes very beautiful poems in French and English.  I could say a great deal more about her. but it's really much better to go and read  for yourselves.  And also, please, listen to the recording of her reading them, which is wonderful (thanks Dave, who made my efforts with a tiny laptop and supermarket-bought microphone sound so good), and which also contains extra biographical information.

If you have any comments could you leave them there rather than here? You don't need to be signed in or anything.  I'm very pleased and proud to have been involved with this, but credit where it is due.

7 comments:

Dale said...

I've had that page open in a window for two days now -- keep coming back to read & wonder. Such terrific poems. I had no idea you knew her!

Jean said...

The whole of the current Qarrtsiluni issue has been outstandingly wonderful. But I think Heather Dohollau's poems are, for me, the greatest discovery of all so far. Thank you for this gift of helping to bring her work to a new readership. I definitely want to read more.

Lucy said...

Thanks both, and I'm really happy you both found them for yourselves without having to be tipped off!

They have a unique calm to them, don't they?

Jean, I spoke to her just after they came up when yours was the only comment, and she asked about you. I said you were a linguist and translator which pleased her, I think!

marly youmans said...

Done, left comment there--and a wish. Maybe she would grant it on your blog?

Lucy said...

Thanks Marly! She'll see and appreciate your comment. Heather goes her own way, as you might imagine, but the Q publication certainly seems to have given her, and her publisher, heart over the translation volume, so who knows?

Anne said...

A comment there, a comment here. Thanks for the link. I loved it.

marly youmans said...

Yes, I am wayward myself (or seem so in what I choose to do, thought it's always straightforward to me) and can understand that perfectly. But it would be interesting...