Thursday, May 13, 2010

Unfortunately named flowers, and Molly steps in.




'Early purple orchid' always sounds a little salacious, it seems to me, even without a nodding acquaintance with Proust.  This one on was overlooking the sea at St Gildas de Rhuys.  In fact we have better ones in more profusion round here (still not sure the old Canon wasn't better for these kind of things...).  But it was a good excuse to lie down on the soft greensward of the clifftop, and look more closely at it, as well as the thrift and buttercups and sorrel and plantains and bladder campion, which grew alongside it.


I've always liked bladder campion, despite its rather unprepossessing name, partly because if you find a flower at the right stage of openness, hold it by the stem just about the bladder part, and bring it down sharply on the back of your hand, it makes a satisfying pop.  My mum showed me that.


So there I was trying to get it in focus,


when other people thought they ought to muscle in.


  "Mmm.  Which one shall I go for?"



"That one!"

(Tom's shot was still even more blurry than mine).

10 comments:

rb said...

haha good old Molly.

It looks a real effort taking that photo. I had no idea photography was so painful.

Whenever I try to take a photo of the kitten she just leaps at the camera and bites it. So I can only take sleeping shots of her.

Fire Bird said...

hehe! glad you had a good weekend...
WV - domoids - sounds uncomfortable!

Bee said...

Now we know the lengths to which you will go to get those beautiful up-close photographs! Yesterday I was weeding the borders (in a similar position, but not quite so horizontal) and my cat kept fixing me with his beady eyes. I was afraid he was going to pounce on me.

It was fun to see the orchids from last year's post. Here we are again, admiring the flowers. . . but aren't they always worth admiring again? I hope to "catch" (photographically) some bluebells this weekend.

Also: Have you ever visited Sarah Laurence's blog? She has posted on wildflowers in Maine and she needs some help identifying some of them.

Rouchswalwe said...

Woof! Brilliant action shots! Sort of like playing a musical instrument ... the entire body and the audience is involved. And you work up a mighty thirst.

Pam said...

And the winner was Molly...

Zhoen said...

The look on our critters faces when taking photos, "What ARE you people doing?"

Clive Hicks-Jenkins said...

There are no problems in life that aren't made a little better by a hug from a well-loved dog!

HLiza said...

Mol must have had enough with this 'squatting and bending' couple who concentrates on the flowers.."Me! Me! What about me?"..she said!

vicki johnson said...

Love this post! (sorry, that's all my sorry brain can come up with...it made me grin, and right now that's wonderful medicine)

leslee said...

Heh. That's so cute. They do love it when you're down on their level, don't they - must be an invitation to cuddle.