Tuesday, December 16, 2014

Good things # 2 - The Supercols' Christmas video


Hooray and hurrah, it's that time of year again, and I have received Li Yi and Colin's Christmas video! 


This is the fourth one of these I've posted since 2010, which most certainly constitutes a tradition. As I've probably mentioned, these two are very dear friends of my very dear niece in the UK, and I've never met them but they send me, with many other of course, their Christmas video because they know I will love and treasure it, and because their warm-hearted, creative generosity knows no bounds. They make these in a very hands on, low-tech, glue-and-scissors kind of way (this year with paper dolls using brads, which brings back memories of Clive's maquette exhibition) and they take almost distressing amounts of time and patience over them just for the love of it, and for no reward save the making itself and, I hope, the knowledge of how much it will touch, delight and amaze those of us who see it.

Previous videos can be seen on Vimeo: 2010, 2011, and 2013, and there are links with some of them about how they made them. Not quite sure what happened in 2012, I think they might have been getting married or something... In fact if you're over there on Vimeo, do sneak a peek at the Colin's wedding speech film to Li Yi. I don't quite feel at liberty to link to it, but it is there on a public channel, and if you're anything like me it will, like the rest of the videos or more so, make you laugh and cry at the same time, quite immoderately.

4 comments:

Stella said...

Bravo to the producers for the sweetness of the message and for the technical wizardry that allows you to share it.

Unknown said...

Oh, that is lovely. sniff.

Lucas said...

Many thanks for this fantastic video. I was indeed touched, delighted and amazed. The cut out tradition has never been better served!

Colin and Li Yi said...

Thanks very much for sharing. I am so very glad that you like it! Merry Christmas and have a wonderful New Year!