Monday, November 21, 2011

Just a couple of lifted things


When a previously unfamiliar poem evokes a feeling of 'belonging' or coming home, it is exceptionally affecting. Our bridges are relatively few between the outer world and our inner world. Increasingly we need those bridges and those mythical horses - and the gods they carry.



( Stephanie Dowrick - In the company of Rilke.  A shot in the dark this book, and not too sure about it, fearing a bit of a woolly New Age spiritual take on RMR, but I think I quite like where it's going, a kind of extended reader's response, with a smorgasbord of interesting references.


Picture - Circus Horse, Pierre Bonnard, c.1936) 

2 comments:

HKatz said...

Our bridges are relatively few between the outer world and our inner world.

Or maybe there are many bridges but we can't see them, and they need to be articulated and brought into sight by the right words (but not only words - music can do it too and other experiences).

Lucy said...

Thanks for commenting, HKatz. Yes, I think you're right, and most art and perhaps most of what we do is about bringing them into sight. And of course our inner worlds are not just one thing, any more than the outer world is. I was looking at and talking about the Bonnard horse with a friend on the same day as I read the lines in the Dowrick book and it put me in mind of it very strongly. Now your words on music are twitching at something else at the back of my mind that I've read or heard lately and I can't quite remember what it is!