Thursday, January 20, 2011

Frosty morning 1 - dead matter

Post after post and barely a new photograph to be had. Sorry times, but in truth this month of January does not inspire.  I look at the camera as I go out and mostly can't be bothered to pick it up, and rarely regret it.  Little is emerging in the natural world, and I lack the time or motivation to look further afield.  And most of all, the light is dismal just now, rendering the colours of the landscape the shades of brown and green drab which I associate with this time of year and which have little to recommend them.  Reason tells me I can't complain, I am thankful for safe roads on dark mornings, and the milder temperatures mean a saving on electricity and firewood. The evenings are perceptibly lighter already, if the mornings aren't, and in fact there are catkins and a few leafbuds here and there, and I have a tentative feeling that perhaps we've come through, and it could have been worse.



But I have so been missing taking pictures, and I was happy yesterday (Wednesday) when the daylight revealed a crisp white frost, and a bright sun just loitering below the horizon, and it wasn't a work morning.  So a walk around the garden was called for, in dressing gown with bare feet in plastic sabots, ending in wet hems to pyjama trousers, to catch the moment.



Ice often seems to me like nature making art.  Frost suspends everything alike; growth and decay, living and inanimate, are arrested at the same moment, their forms preserved, delineated and enhanced. What appeared to be brown dead matter and other garden  rubbish momentarily regained a new and bolder identity, and drew the eye afresh.


Stalks and seedheads,










dead leaves like kraft paper, and hollow spent pods,







all caught and commemorated before they turn to dust and earth again.

(I took a lot of pictures, so I'll put them up in several posts.)

17 comments:

Sabine said...

These are most beautiful. Wonderful.

Zhoen said...

Icing, frosting, all decorated and encrusted.

marja-leena said...

Exquisite! And what dedication and inspiration to go out in robe, pj's and bare feet!

Dale said...

Oh, wonderful!

HLiza said...

Wow..there's still some coldness there..how's the weather? Do you still see snow till Feb? I love seeing all the stalks in their icy coats..thanks Lucy.

the polish chick said...

lucy, you inspire me to take out my nikon a bit more often. these are beautiful, thank you.

i try to remember which ones i like best, so i can mention it in the comment, and one after another charms me and i realise that i love them all.

Catalyst said...

Fantastic photos, Lucy. You have an eye. Or have I said that before?

Fire Bird said...

I love to think of you out in the frosty garden in your pyjamas and dressing gown... great shots.

Jean said...

I'm hardly taking photos either - same reason.

These are very lovely. Shame there's not one of you in your dressing gown and sockless feet - that's really commitment to your art!

Roderick Robinson said...

The first five sentences provide casebook evidence of someone almost driven underground by SAD (seasonally affected disorder). Time to call in the shrink, get loaded or put on the clarinet concerto. Which clt cto? THE clt cto.

HKatz said...

The photos are lovely and melancholy.

YourFireAnt said...

Well, apparently it DOES inspire. Especially like the frosted ones, which look part animal.

T.

Rouchswalwe said...

When the seedlings and little sprouts appear, they will have photographs of their aunts and uncles to look at! Coming on the heels of your memories of the aunts at alton, I can't help but think that nature has provided us with a contrast here.

zephyr said...

Ah, yes. The frost woke you. Lovely photos.

i confess i find it difficult to see in the blazing heat of summer and must force myself to "shake it off" when the weather--and harsh light--are not to my liking and i go blind for a while.

Unknown said...

If those photographs are the result of lack of inspiration, I wonder what we can expect when you are touched by inspiration.

Dick said...

So glad you ventured out pieds nus, Lucy. These are glorious. I like the ostrich vigilance of the first one!

Lucy said...

Thanks all.

I meant I'm not inspired when it's dull and grey, the frost was inspiring! I had to be quick mind...