Wednesday, February 11, 2009

Day of departure

I'm on my way to England for a week. I shall see my lovely sister, and my lovely niece and her partner, and I shall see Tall Girl and L., whose wedding I missed last year because of a Molly health crisis, and when I postponed the visit to TG's birthday I had to cancel that because of a Tom health crisis, so this really has to be the third strike or I'm out. And I shall meet up with Lady Penelope, and Plutarch (historic moment never before seen...), and doubtless the company of these bright, strong, brave souls will make my spirit thrive. (Though Lady P. will not have time to teach me how to turn a heel, so my education in this regard will still be incomplete...)

However, as we all know, brothers and sisters, no joy is unalloyed. I travel rarely on my own these days, and get anxious about it at the best of times, and this isn't the best of times. I am aware I am leaving them to cope alone during this fairly gruelling period, while Mol's still having to have painful injections every day, and we don't really know how it's going to be longer term. Tom endured every kind of piqûre, injections, blood tests drips, to say nothing of oher invasive, uncomfortable and undignified procedures during his own treatment with stoicism and equanimity, but Molly having jabs is nothing but a horror for him. But they are both being so brave, and so without reproach, it wrings my heart.

So please, if you've the time, leave them encouraging words, and hold them in your thought, prayers, whatever you believe in. It all helps.

The video is a bit of shameless uxorious soppiness, so if displays of such things offend you, look away now. It's jumpy and scratchy again; Picasa don't seem to have this programme very well sorted yet. If, when I come back, the creative juices and energies are flowing better, I'll try to get to grips with the proper Movie Maker for better results.

See you all soon.

(Tom - don't forget to have the mute off and the volume turned up.)

30 comments:

HLiza said...

Oh this video makes me cry! I'm supposed to give Tom and Mol strength..but I'm imagining how much all of you will miss each other's company..and I can't believe I'm crying over Mol too. Your presence will always be felt..wish you all the best times there..and come back soon..

julie said...

Oh, what a sweet video!

I hope you have a marvelous trip, Lucy, and I'll be praying that while you're away Tom and Molly will do just fine, having no worries or troubles beyond the fact that you're not home.

Have fun, Lucy!

Dave King said...

With luck you'll miss the worst of our weather. Have a great time.

vicki johnson said...

Aaahhh...this is very sweet.
i, too, get anxious about travel. It always makes me very aware of how much i depend on my home and my sister and the furballs i share my life with.

Have a great time...and i'll be sending calm, happy thoughts across the pond to you and yours.

Anonymous said...

Oh, what a love-filled slide show, wonderful to see you three looking so happy in all the photos! Have a wonderful, stress-free trip, Lucy, and best wishes to Tom and Molly at the home front.

Unknown said...

Cheers,Tom. Cheers, Molly.

Zhoen said...

An extra hug from me for Plutarch and Tall Girl if you would.

Tom, Mol, be brave and resolute.

robinstarfish said...

Godspeed, Lucy, and all good things for Tom and Molly.

Catalyst said...

Lucy, that's just great. So good to see pictures of your "family". Looks to me like Tom and Molly will do just fine but hurry back anyway! Bon voyage!

Granny J said...

Tom and Molly will comfort each other. You should concentrate on having a wonderful, brief one week visit.

herhimnbryn said...

Oh Lucy, This is beautiful.......
Tom and Molly, be brave and look after each other while she is away. A week isn't too long.

Bee said...

Lucy, you shouldn't apologize for the "soppiness" of this video! It is everything that is lovely and loving.

I'm sure that Tom truly wants you to enjoy your time in England - although I'm not as sure about claiming that for Molly. Have a wonderful time . . . (and next time that you come, can you work me into the visitation schedule as well?)

Linda S. Socha said...

This is really lovely.Hoping your trip to England gives wonderful lifes and lots of little joys
Linda

Roderick Robinson said...

Re Plutarch. If you haven't fixed an RV suggest the pub in Roupell Street. It encourages conversation. Not that either of you should need that.

Tom: It occurs to me a post about Schrödinger's cat would combine all our interests. Now all I need to do is a little QM reading.

Elizabeth said...

Came to you via Bee.
So glad your poor puppy is improving.
So charming in blue 'halo'

Rosie said...

Rats...just missed you then, the moment I emerge from purdah, you are gone!
Lovely photos...aw they will be just fine...go enjoy yourself

Anonymous said...

Tom's a lucky guy; Molly's a lucky girl. Bon voyage et bon retour, Lucy.

apprentice said...

Bugger missed saying cherrio. Not a dry eye in the house here missus. Take care and come back soon.

Chin up Tom and Moll. Hang in there sweet Moll, hopefully these jabs will be over soon.

Pam said...

That was so sweet. Hope you're all doing well. Absence makes the heart.... and all that.

Sheila said...

What a gift, to see this beautiful glimpse into your world.

Praying for peace and joy and courage all around, eager to hear how the week goes.

Anonymous said...

I hope you have a wonderful time. But when away you should really try to concentrate on where you are, not where you have left. Particularly when it is such a short time. But I know that's not always easy particularly when you are as devoted as you are to Tom and Molly.

Take care

Jen said...

That is such a lovely film... positively glows with love. Wishing you an anxiety-free trip and sending positive vibes to Mol & Tom.

X

Michelle said...

What a gorgeous video! You're so clever, Lucy.

I hope you're in England safe and sound.

Tom and Molly, I hope you're doing well.

Fire Bird said...

Oh, I didn't find this til now, and you have been and gone already! Made me cry too! Thanks for a lovely weekend and bon retour, and love and hugs to T and M...

Rouchswalwe said...

A nice trip every now and then is good for the spirit ... and the welcome back hugs are divine!

meggie said...

Am sure your trip will have been a huge success. Lovely to see Tom & Mol together.

Michelle said...

Welcome home, Lucy.

leslee said...

Wow, just seeing this now and you're probably home already, or nearly so. Hope you had a great trip! And thanks for the sweet video! I confess I loved those doggy paws more than anything. I don't know what that's all about. :-)

Pamela Terry and Edward said...

I will happily say a prayer and think good thoughts for Tom and Molly. I hope you have a lovely trip and an uproariously gleeful homecoming!!

Kim said...

I unfortunately haven't visited in a while so I missed this post and the chance to say have a safe journey. Although, I did want to say, last night I was listening to a doctor talk about the huge bundle of research that says prayer does truly help to heal. So that said, I will be praying for you...all of you...it's got to be a good thing when so many others are doing the same :)