Wednesday, September 07, 2011

Cabbages and kings

Inside and out seem to be settling down a bit at last.

Started writing morning pages.  Longhand, streamed, completely private, burn after writing if necessary.  I think it might be helpful.

A helpful finger-wag from someone I love and respect enormously:  'You can't just sit around and press flowers.'

Saw two young girls I help with their English.  They are bright and brown after their summer, their mum is cheerful and friendly, their ancient Labrador is still alive and we were all pleased to see each other.  Another former adult student contacts with a view to coaching his boys.  I feel relieved and useful again, fears are allayed, disenchantment grows fainter with distance.

Remembering with a gratified (flattered) smile our old friend D, when Tom took him to the radiotherapy clinic, uselessly as it turned out, just a few weeks ago. He was dozing and distant, but when Tom was talking about me to J, he nodded and pronounced 'Lovely woman, good mind.'  A compliment to treasure, and accept graciously.

God-willing-weather-permitting (spare me the sententious and bleeding-obvious atheist arguments, it's only an expression), I am set for an amazing adventure tomorrow, thanks to the generosity and marvellous serendipity of Blogland and those that dwell therein.  My camera battery is charged and its memory card is empty.

Red cabbage, before half of it was eaten with balsamic vinegar, sugar, wine and a lot of spices, caramelised apple, new potatoes and a knackwurst.

  

15 comments:

HKatz said...

I don't think I've ever seen a cabbage collage before. It's wonderful.

I feel relieved and useful again, fears are allayed, disenchantment grows fainter with distance.
Also wonderful :)

I look forward to seeing where your adventure takes you.

marja-leena said...

I love how you've done the collage, Lucy, with that border/frame. And I love red cabbage. Did you grow this in your garden?

Happy adventuring! Looking froward to another fabulous report.

The Crow said...

You have captured one of my most beloved vegetables in all its glory, Lucy. I like the way the leaves (shouldn't they be called petals, though?) overlap one another in friendly embrace, holding each other together against the world.

I like boston lettuce for the same reason, and because it reminds me of a rose.

Looking forward to reports of your adventure!

Rouchswalwe said...

Here's to adventure fortified by cabbage, new potatoes, and Knackwurst! Prost! (Lucy, are you becoming Germanically inclined??)

Jean said...

Oh my god (likewise), the cabbage photos are wonderful!

Anne said...

Fabulous cabbage collage.

A compliment to treasure.

Tomorrow a mysterious adventure.

What a great life!

Rosie said...

have a wonderful time and take big pointy camera. I must have vicarious thrills xxxx

Sheila said...

I've always thought red cabbage was beautiful, but this is amazing.

Hoping your adventure will be everything you'd like it to be.

Clive Hicks-Jenkins said...

It takes a very special eye to capture the beauty of everyday things and show them to the world. Lovey.

ealrybird said...

Fantastic photos.

Will we hear/see the adventure?

Lucy said...

Thanks all.

The mountain of photos from the successfully accomplished adventure is awaiting editing, and some will appear here shortly!

marly youmans said...

Pleasantly topograhical, those cabbages.

YourFireAnt said...

Oh, I love these cabbage designs.

T.

Laura Frankstone said...

Pleasantly topographical, my eye! (Sorry, Marly.) These are stratospherically wonderful!!! I SO wish I had a big print of this collage, dear Lucy.... so many swoops and curves, so bold and tender at the same time. Lucy, there are many people I admire in this world, but you, with all of your talents, are at the very top of the list.
There.

Lucy said...

Aw shucks, as you say on the other side of the ocean, Laura, and that from one of my favourite, most awesome, visual artists. (Clive, you're another!)

Still, I like Marly's 'topographical' as well...

Red cabbage are often deprived of their outer leaves and look rather bald and shiny and staid, but this one had kept its flowery shaped leaves and the bloom on them, so I bought it to photograph.