- Molly has a sore head, yelps inexplicably with pain at some moments, is wary of being touched there. Borrowed time - ten months with no ear trouble - makes us nervous. Yet she has a cold wet nose, eats with gusto, walks round the plan d'eau very cheerfully, and rubs her face on the ground in her usual 'mad dog' fashion. Keep calm, sufficient unto the day...
- Yoga. A wobbly new warrior pose.
- Banana, peanut butter and Nutella toasted sandwich. I have lost 5 kg since the end of September.
- Writing a very long e-mail.
- 'Middlemarch' for the how-manieth time.'Celia could not bear for Mr Casaubon to blink at her.'
- Trying to answer a question.
- A low drone, something disconcerting and out of place. A large wasp wavers across the kitchen, I think it has come out of a log I've put on the fire. It lands on the cooker hood where with committed violence, I make an end of it with a fly swat. It is nearly out of the fire and into the frying pan.
- .A quick Waldorf salad, with the fresh walnuts Marcelle gave me over her fence. Tom picks them out and leaves a small pile of them on the side of his plate to eat last.
- Silly Putty has, it seems, become Science Putty.
- Getting a necessarily short answer to my very long e-mail, but one which is full of the writer's customary cheer and good sense.
- 'Wycliffe'. Cornwall looks uncharacteristically pretty, the people seem disturbingly happy, something is very wrong here. Sure enough, within minutes a dead body is found nailed the the door of their holiday home. Ah, that's better. We do like Wycliffe. They actress who plays Lucy shares a name - both born and given - with my lovely sister, our unmarried name, that is. She is so watcheable, I can't think why she hasn't been in more things. She'd be a shoe-in for the role of Maud in AS Byatt's possession, if they were to make a good film out of that. They did make a film, but I gather it was rubbish.
- No wine, peach squash. I have lost 5 kg since the end of September (yes I know I've already said that). It doesn't show much but I know it's gone. Now if I could get as much off again by Christmas...
- The work I planned for last time will last two lessons, so no prep needed for tomorrow. Hooray. Still have to get up at six though.
- Well, I quite forgot it was Woodwork Wednesday yesterday. I had some good ones too, but now it will have to wait until next week. You'll have to have Tropical Fruit Thursday instead, and some Mad Mangoes. I can do lurid and tacky too, you know.
Easter Craiglockhart Hill
5 minutes ago