Thursday, July 24, 2008

Clarifications

Thanks so much for all the kinds words and I'm sorry to have been so elliptical; I was just so tired.

In the scheme of things, it's not so catastrophic, I suppose, or life threatening or hopeless. Molly suddenly became very painfully ill, apparently from a complication from last years operation, an abscess or some such, we don't exactly know. We spent a long and difficult day in and around the vet's at Plerin on Tuesday, but it's not really resolved. She's dosed up to the eyeballs with painkiller, cortisone and antibiotics, the last she needs to continue taking at least until the end of August. She's still troubled by it but not suffering so much now, but the whole matter is very up in the air, I don't know if we'll have to go back today, tomorrow... and I worry at the consequences of so much anaesthetic and antibiotics in her system. The expenses incurred are the least of it. I'm just relieved that I don't have a full family and working life that a dog would have to be fitted around.

It's so bitterly disappointing and disheartening to be back here again, after all the heartache and hard work of the ear operation last year, when everyone here was so supportive and lovely I don't know what I'd have done without you, that I don't think I can face giving blow by blow accounts of it and presuming on everyone's interest and kindness again, but I'll be back and forth, and once again, thanks. We're all a bit better rested now anyway.

The disappointment is compounded because I was supposed to be flying to England yesterday to see lovely sister, meet up with rr, and travel with her to Yorkshire for the wedding party (I do think of it as such, though on the invite it's a Civil Partnership Party) of Tall Girl and L, which has been planned and looked forward to for ages. rr and Tall Girl are probably the people who've been in my life longest of anyone outside of family, and letting them down like this is wretched, but I know I can't leave Tom and Molly to cope alone, I'd worry too much anyway.

So that's my tale of woe, which as I say, is not enormous in the scale of things. As matters calm and clarify, I'll try to get back with more interesting stuff here and brief updates, and to get around all of yours too. Much love to all and huge amounts of gratitude.

16 comments:

julie said...

Dear Lucy, it's not an imposition to tell us of Molly's troubles. I'll keep you all in my prayers tonight.

Anonymous said...

Positive thoughts and good vibes, Lucy.

Crafty Green Poet said...

sorry to hear about Molly's troubles,

Rosie said...

oh darling I am so sorry. I'll be in touch.

herhimnbryn said...

Dearest L, so sorry. Our four legged companions can wrench at our hearts can't they? Speedy healling thoughts to Mol from me and a lick from Bryn.

Anonymous said...

Oh dear, this is hard for you! So sorry Molly is suffering, and for your disappointment in not being to able to see your dear friends on such a happy occasion. Much love to you and Tom and Molly in the days ahead.

Dave King said...

Soi sorry to hear of your troubles - and much sympathy for Molly, too, of course. Very much hope the improvement begins soon. Try to stay positive. Easier said than done, I know.

vicki johnson said...

Lucy, just so you know that you are in good company: i was a wreck a couple of days ago when i dear friend emailed to let me know her beloved, getting-quite-old dog (who is also one of my dearest friends and in my care once or twice a year when her mama travels) is having unexplained troubles.

i often stay home, to care for my furry family members...and sometimes, to protect myself, i will lie about the reason when telling people i doubt would understand.

jzr said...

So sorry to hear of these trials, Lucy. When one of my special creatures is ill, I just can't do much of anything else. They cannot tell you about the pain in words so we must be with them to help as much as we can. Loves and prayers to you and Molly!!

Zhoen said...

Such a helpless feeling when those we love are ill. Especially when we can't explain to them what's wrong.

Poor creature.

Roderick Robinson said...

I know what you're going through. As our cat George got older we did all we could to maintain his health. Sadly every visit to the vet was preceded by the painful task of getting him into the cat box which he hated. It was impossible not to imagine his accusation: "I'm feeling lousy. Why are you doing this to me?" Not a good time to be denied verbal communication.

Unknown said...

Sympathies. Hope things look up, with Molly.

HLiza said...

So sorry that you're surrounded with somberness here..hope things will turn out better. Hugs..

leslee said...

So sorry, Lucy. It's tough when one's beloved pet is sick and hurting. Glad at least she's feeling better, and best wishes for healing and full recovery.

meggie said...

Oh it is so hard, because poor dogs cant tell us how they feel. I become consumed with grief if something is wrong with one of ours.
Huge hugs & vibes for a speedy recovery for Mol.

Lucy said...

Thank you all so much, everything everyone's said has helped, and thanks to those who've phoned and e-mailed too.

The abscess appeared to burst yesterday (yuk!), which has afforded her much relief I think, she's brighter and trying out some normal things again. Thankfully, we didn't have to take her to the vet again when that happened, they just said no, hang on, try to clean it (hmm, easier said than done!), carry on with the pills and if she's not suffering she can stay home for a few days.

I don't know what they'll want to do next week, but for the moment things are easier, lighter and more manageable.

Thanks again.