Tuesday, April 01, 2008

Poisson d'avril






No, no tricks or jokes, I'm not gifted with thinking those up, just some real fish and reflections.

This was going to be a general nature notes post about fecundity in general and fecundity in our garden pond in particular. However, I got rather caught up with the theme, and the rest, including frogspawn, will have to wait. The big pregnant fish is, I believe, one of the original five we bought about eight years ago, which have gone forth and multiplied bigtime, and show no signs of stopping.

Many thanks for all your kind wishes and advice. The sun has now shone, my throat and general well-being is much improved. Though wine still tastes awful (unless it's just the wine we habitually drink and I have overnight suddenly acquired the mixed blessing of a discerning palette...), I suddenly remembered about... beer! The very idea that I could have forgotten about beer would, at one time, have seemed unthinkable, but I had, and beyond tasting somehow a bit soapy, it went down just fine. I survived the first morning back at work after the clock change, it is my lovely sister's birthday and I've had a nice chat with her, I have just booked us a short holiday in Honfleur in May, in a B&B with garden rooms which welcomes dogs , and generally my life looks as blessed as I know it to be.

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

The 4th one is magical.

Amazing what skewing the viewpoint does...

I'm glad you're feeling better, Miss Lucy of the Spring Nose.

Anonymous said...

Oh, I forgot the fooling--I am putting a tiny little e-paper poisson d'avril on your left shoulderblade!

meggie said...

So glad you are feeling better. Lovely fish- more orange than gold, perhaps. They must be very happy if they are breeding so well.
Your weekend away sounds lovely. There are some dog friendly places here- one where you can have your dog join you in the spa- not sure that would be to my taste!

jzr said...

These are lovely, Lucy. And I'm glad to hear you're feeling better!

Anonymous said...

Hooray for feeling better! The sunshine helps, for me too! And gorgeous fish photos, love the fourth the most. Must be nice to have a productive fish pond...I can just see you pondering by it for hours.

Jules said...

Loved the fish pics, and you at the end! Glad to hear you're feeling better.

Jen said...

Oh, that last photo is heavenly - a really mystical quality to it somehow. And I like Marly's 'skewing the viewpoint' comment... they've combined to make me Think Things which may not be good so early in the day.

Rosie said...

Spring is here...a shaft of sunlight shining through a glass of beer...what a good idea

Dave King said...

I look forward to reading your nature notes, but in the meantime the pictures are eloquent. Thanks for them.

vicki johnson said...

So glad you are feeling better...and found something that tastes almost good!

Mike said...

Lovely pictures Lucy.

Never was much of a fan of beer, but hey, whatever works!

Lucy said...

Thank you people.

The French is actually poisson rouge, which is much more accurate. Even the other, stronger forms of alcohol taste quite unpleasant, creme de menthe might be OK but we don't have any!

stitchwort said...

So many lovely creatures and plants.
Glad you're feeling better - a bit of sunshine always helps.

robinstarfish said...

Underwater candles! And the fisheye-view self portrait is the perfect capper.

Fire Bird said...

I love your poissons d'Avril, especially the one alone in the dark water, so luminous and strange, as if floating in eternity...

Lucy said...

Thank you for such lovely eloquent comments! And of course there was a bit of trickery: considerable darkening of the water and contrasts generally to heighten their strangeness. But I do like the way the fish are to a greater or lesser degree out of focus, while the surface and reflections is sharp. Just luck really.

apprentice said...

Yay you're on the mend! Photos are great, I love the painterly quality of them.