Friday, March 16, 2007

Spring fire

" Better close the windows, Victor's having a bonfire. Mad old fire-raiser!"

"Environmental polluter! Probably won't take his car to the tip, too dangerously close to the big city. Is that his daughter helping him?"


"Yeah... he's piling leylandii branches on it now. Still, smells better than the muck spreading."


Eighty-four years old, double hip replacement, six children, one gone before, wife died last year (and didn't she put up a brave one!). Gets his strength straight from th earth beneath his feet. Either that or the Calva he still makes at the alembic. God bless and keep him, and all the other stubborn buggers who won't give up.

9 comments:

K. Brobeck said...

Amen.

Jonathan Wonham said...

Cough cough...

Unknown said...

A rich portrait, and a reminder of the sight and smell of bonfire. I would have liked to email you this question. Did you know Kathleen Raine? I knew her a long time ago, and still know her daughter. I loved your ruminations on the Gargantua and Pentagruel quotation, and the story about emondage (can't do the accent here).

Unknown said...

Incidently I realize that I came across "emondage", not so long ago, when reading Buvard et Pecuchet by Flaubert, a book which I greatly enjoyed. Very funny, I thought, though not many people seem to agree about its merits.

Avus said...

It must be the Calva. Churchill said "never, never, never give up". He also said "keep buggering on".
There are worse outlooks on life.

Fire Bird said...

Lovely smoky pictures.

Lucy said...

Thanks, all.
J-he must be immune, probably the Calva again.
Plutarch - no, I didn't know her, would that I had; I found the Temenos website when browsing to find out more about her. Funny how a word keeps appearing once your attention is drawn to it...
A-Churchill could have spoken those words for our Victor!
TG - yes, I found myself enjoying the way his form kept dissolving and reforming in the smoke. Very little of it came our way!

herhimnbryn said...

Can't see the pics on this post. All other posts fine....wanna see them now....pouts!

herhimnbryn said...

Thanks L. I could smell the fire!